The following tools lend themselves to the learning environment of academia.
- Outwit Me. This site offers "intelligent Twitter games" and is a great way to have students get comfortable using Twitter.
- Atlas. Explore the world with tweets that are shown on a map.
- Twrivia. Get a new trivia question each day with this tool.
- weather. Science News Blog post frequent weather news and events occurring around the world.
- EarthquakeNews. From the USGS Earthquake Center, get tweets about any earthquake that registers over 2.5 anywhere in the world.
- Tweetizen. Find specific groups on Twitter or start your own group.
- GeoTwitterous: Personalized Twitter on a Map. This article describes how GeoTwitterous works as a great tool to map your Twitter network.
- Plinky. Each day this app provides a prompt in the form of a question or challenge, then you can reply by posting text, photos, maps, or whatever you can use to answer the prompt.